Happy Summer, everyone! My, oh my has it been quite sometime since I’ve blogged. After months of radio silence, outta the blue, something compelled & inspired me to share. Maybe it’s the full moon in my rising sign of Capricorn lighting the fire, or maybe it was this absolutely delicious & totally bikini friendly basil-tahini zoodle dish I whipped up? Either way, hi there!!!
There is so much to update you on! I celebrated a BIG birthday, went on a soul searching meditation retreat to Joshua Tree, been working on developing the children’s yoga program at my clinic, & recently returned from an incredible trip to Melbourne, Australia. I’ve been typing away on very personal post, that I accidentally leaked a few weeks back (oops), & also I have some really big, exciting, possibly life changing news to share…hopefully soon!!
Until then, after 10 days of MAJOR indulgence in Australia (omg, the vegan food!), & keeping the party going well into my return, it’s time to start cleaning up my diet again. My two clean summer eating obsessions? Cauliflower rice (loving this recipe & this recipe) & zoodles, of course! My simple standby is “Cacio de Pepe” style, with my “Pepita Parma” as a stand in for grated parmesan cheese, but this evening I was inspired by something else….first, some gorgeously juicy yellow summer tomatoes. I love, love, love me some roasted tomatoes! As I popped them in the oven, two more things caught my eye… a container of fresh basil that was nearing its prime & a brand spanking new jar of the Trader Joe’s tahini that has reached a fever pitch among the foodies of Instagram!
Hmmmm? The mind reeled…what about a tahini-basil sauce? Too lazy to be bothered with experimentation, I took to the trusty internet, & to my wondering eyes appeared…“Bliss Inducing Basil Tahini Sauce” from Food 52. Holy perfection! This sauce was exactly what I was dreaming of. I packed the vitamix full with the maximum amount of basil for that zesty, herbaceous kick. It was wonderful over zoodles, & I can imagine that it would be a delicious summery sauce on my staple “macro bowl.” Oooohhhh, cauliflower rice macro bowl? Now that’s an idea, but let’s get back to these zoodles…
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 4 zucchini
- 1 cup packed basil
- 3 TBSP tahini
- 4 TBSP olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp raw honey
- ½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- pinch of cayenne
- ½ cup water
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the tomatoes lightly with 1 TBSP olive oil on a sheet pan. Spread them out into one layer & sprinkle generously with sea salt.
- Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft. Allow to cool.
- Spiralize zucchini into "zoodles."
- In a high speed blender, combine basil, tahini, 2 TBSP olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, black pepper, cayenne, & water.
- Blend on high until you have a smooth, creamy sauce. Add salt to taste.
- Heat 1 TBSP olive oil in a large skillet. Add zoodles & saute until lightly heated through. Add desired amount of sauce & toss to combine.
- Add to 2 individual bowls & add roasted tomatoes, fresh basil chiffonade & vegan parmesan cheese.
Such a lovely summer meal, & I must say, it’s good to be back! I will be checking in a again soon. Until then, zoodle up, & stay cool…