With fresh strawberries now in season in Southern California…
I cannot think of a more gorgeous way to celebrate the first week of spring than with a heaping bowl of this:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 1 quart organic strawberries, hulled
- ⅓ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- ⅓ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Stir 2 cups water & sugar in heavy medium saucepan over high heat until sugar dissolves. Boil 5 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree strawberries in food processor until smooth. Add strawberry puree & orange & lemon juices to sugar syrup; stir to blend. Cover & refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
- Process strawberry mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions or place mixture in shallow container & freeze, stirring every hour until set, about 6 hours.
****Remember that strawberries are on the “Dirty Dozen” list! Always buy organic & local, if you can!