Freaked out over the recent egg recall? I don’t blame you. I would be too, if I consumed them. But I’ve given them up. Completely.
Over half a billion eggs have now been recalled since the recent salmonella outbreak that has made more than 1,300 people sick. It’s only a matter of time before that number of sick people increases. But you don’t have to be one of them!
Whether vegan, veggie, or omnivore, there are many quick swaps & simple egg alternatives that anyone can use. One of my favorite resources is “The Vegan Pantry” ebook. Download it from VegFamily for only $4.99. I also found this great article via Eat.Drink.Better that gives great advice & alternative for how vegans get around the egg issue.
Eating Vegan: Looking for Egg Replacements during the Egg Recall? Ask a Vegan
What an Egg Does:
- Within a recipe, an egg adds moisture & also performs one of two functions: leavening or binding.
- When the egg is binding, it means that it is holding everything in the recipe together. A binding agent is what makes food stick together.
- When an egg is a leavening agent, it means that the egg is trapping air inside the food as it cooks. For example, this gives nice & fluffy cake.
Binding Replacements for Denser Treats like Bread, Muffins, Pancakes, etc:
You know an egg is a binding agent if there is very little to no beating required, such as in brownies & cookies. Depending on what goes well with your recipe, you can use one of the following items as a binding replacement for one egg:
- Half of a banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup of applesauce
- 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes
Leavening Replacement for Lighter Goodies Like Cake:
An egg is a leavener when there is a lot of beating required, such as with cakes and meringues. When an egg is leavening, it is more difficult to replace. Generally, the more eggs there are to replace, the less satisfied you may be with the results. For recipes with only a few eggs, try these replacements for one leavening egg:
- Half of banana, mashed, plus 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Ener-G Egg Replacer, plus 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, plus 1 teaspoon vinegar
Replacements for Recipes Where Egg is a Main Ingredient:
You’re probably out of luck if you wish to make angel food cake or eggs benedict, but you can try to use tofu to make scrambled “eggs” or quiche. Tofu is not for everyone, but it has the texture of cooked eggs can taste really good when properly prepared. It absorbs the flavor of the food it is cooking with, so use lots of delicious vegetables and seasonings.
Tofu scrambles are a Sunday morning breakfast staple in my home! For those of you that love an egg scramble, try this simple, but flavorful, recipe from PETA Living. Even the most finicky eater won’t miss the eggs!