Sometimes it takes a little more than a green juice to get me going. Especially after a night of wine drinking & disco dancing. I love to bake on the weekends, & a basket of fresh strawberries from my CSA were calling to me… “make vegan strawberry muffins.” So I did just that this past Sunday.
I also love to have a little something sweet with my weekday morning coffee or tea. It takes the hunger edge off while I am getting ready for work. I get up super early, too early for breakfast which I “drink” on the go, but not too early for a little pre-breakfast treat.
I adapted this recipe slightly. Lately I’ve been loving baking with coconut oil so I used that in place of the canola oil. I love the mild flavor & light texture coconut oil imparts. Keeping with the coconut theme, I used coconut milk (from the carton, not can) in place of soy milk. Strawberries + Coconut = Instant Tropical Getaway for the Tastebuds!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- ½ cup organic vegan sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup coconut milk (from the carton, not can)
- ⅓ cup unrefined coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup fresh organic strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375. Prepare your pan with muffin cups.
- Add all dry ingredients to a bowl & mix.
- Add the milk, oil and vanilla to the dry ingredients. Don’t over mix the batter. It’s a bit thick & sticky, similar to dough. Fold in strawberries. Spoon the batter into muffin papers.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes. When you take them out, let them cool for 10 to 15 minutes before you remove them from the pan.
These muffins are light & fluffy, & slightly sweet with a hint of coconut & lots of gooey strawberry goodness. I hop you enjoy these super yummy morning delights.