Nothing soothes the soul on a cold rainy night more than a steamy bowl of soup. I love the rain, especially in the evening when I am home curled up under a blanket with my snuggle Pug & a good book. A rainstorm always inspires me to put a soup or stew on the stove & a hearty loaf of multigrain bread in the oven, & that is how this recipe was born last Saturday night.
When I picked up my CSA share, I cringed just a bit at the sight of savoy cabbage. Cabbage is not something I would purchase at will, but when the CSA throws it my way, I must catch it & run! So I did, on that rainy evening. My intention had been to attempt a veganized “German Sausage & Cabbage” type meal, but when the clouds & cold front blew in, that plan quickly shifted. With soup on the brain, I searched & found an “Italian Sausage & Cabbage Stew” recipe that seemed easy enough to make vegan. It turned out wonderfully.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 package vegan Italian sausages, crumbled (I used Tofurky)
- 1 large yellow onion, half sliced and half minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cups white wine
- 1 15-ounce can of white beans, drained
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 quart water
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 savoy cabbage, quartered, & sliced into ¼-inch thick slices
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped Italian parsley, loosely packed
- ½ cup of vegan Parmesan (I used Galaxy’s, but I love Parma too!)
- Heat the olive oil on medium-high heat in a large, thick-bottomed pot. Add the sausage, & cook until browned. When the sausage has nicely browned, remove & set aside.
- Add the minced onion (save the sliced onion for later) & sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Once the onions release their water, use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the minced garlic & cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the white wine & the beans & bring to a rolling boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cover & cook for 10 minutes. For a thicker base, use an immersion blender to blend some (or all) of the beans & onions.
- Add the water, stock, salt, cabbage, sliced onion half, bay leaves & browned sausage. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cover & simmer for 10 minutes, then uncover & continue cooking until the cabbage is tender, about another 10-20 minutes.
***To serve, sprinkle on chopped parsley & cheese & pair with a side of crusty bread.
The perfect one pot meal for that cozy rainy night! Enjoy!