It’s the weekend & you know what that means: tofu scramble time!
My weekday breakfasts typically consist of either quick cooked oats & fruit, or a green smoothie that I can take with me out the door. Even though I get up super early, I am not left with much time to get creative, so I save that for the weekend. I came up with this scramble a few Sundays ago, ever since then I’ve craved it every weekend. It’s a vegan take on the classic “scrambled eggs florentine” which was my favorite egg dish before I gave them up. This mediterranean inspired version is composed of crumbled extra firm tofu mixed with spices, spinach, basil, fresh tomato, & Daiya Mozzarella, which makes for a wonderfully creamy & savory scramble. Dare your omnivore friend to ditch the eggs & serve them up a dish of this. I guarantee they won’t help but fall in love!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 container extra firm tofu, pressed & crumbled
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, plus a chiffonade of few more leaves
- generous sprinkle of vegan mozzarella (I prefer Daiya)
- Saute the garlic & onion in olive oil in a large skillet for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onion is softened. Add remaining ingredients except spinach, basil & cheese, & cook, stirring frequently for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add spinach & basil cook a minute or two, just until wilted, stirring well. Turn off the heat & add vegan mozzarella, stirring until combined.
- Garnish each portion with a chiffonade of fresh basil.
What goes better with a scramble than a side of crispy potatoes? I’m not a greasy hash browns gal, but I happen to love red potatoes roasted with a bit of oil, sea salt & fresh rosemary. I changed up my basic recipe a bit by using Lemon Infused Avocado Oil that I picked up at the farmers’ market. It is also amazing on salads, & drizzled over veggies, & I decided to use it here too, just to liven things up a little.
Ahhh, I love the smell of fresh rosemary. It reminds me of the mountains…
Mmmm, all crispy & golden brown…
- 8 small red potatoes, quartered into ½-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon flavored avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl & toss to coat potatoes. Transfer potatoes to a large foil lined baking sheet. Roast 25 to 30 minutes, until tender & golden.
So there you have it – my ultimate favorite weekend breakfast duo. Both keep & reheat well, so make big batches of both on Saturday morning, & savor all weekend long!