Good Morning! Most days around here begin with a green smoothie of sorts, or a coconut yogurt & fruit if I am on-the-go, so on the weekends I like to change it up a bit with some vegan pancakes, donuts, or last weekend’s coffee cake, & I also make a scrumptious tofu scramble! I love to update my simple go-to recipe with seasonal flavors & vegetables, & yesterday I whipped up this lovely“Spring Scramble.”
I jump for joy when asparagus comes into season, as I find it to be one of the delights of springtime. I’ve been keeping bunches on hand lately & will simply roast & serve with a side of vegan aioli, make a spring tart, throw it on a vegan pizza, toss it in a “bowl” with quinoa, kale & tahini sauce, or add it to a breakfast scramble. One of the great things about a scramble is that it can always be an “everything but the kitchen sink” kind of deal. I often grocery shop & hit the farmers market on Sundays, which makes cleaning out the fridge an essential weekend ritual, which can make for an interesting breakfast situation. Since I food shop with the seasons, this spring inspired scramble was created with ingredients I had on hand…meaning a whole lot of asparagus!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- ½ bunch asparagus, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 block sprouted tofu, drained & crumbled
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp. tamari
- Pinch of sea salt
- ½ Tbsp. turmeric
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup basil, chiffonade
- 2 Tbsp. toasted pine nuts
- Add olive oil to hot sauté pan, or cast iron skillet. Add onion & sauté over medium heat until translucent.
- Add asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes, & crumbled tofu, & cook for 3 minutes.
- Add nutritional yeast, tamari, sea salt turmeric, & black pepper, & cook for 3-5 minutes more.
- Remove from heat & top with basil & pine nuts just before serving.
I truly think this might be my most favorite scramble yet…so much flavor & beautiful color!
Yum, yum, & more yum!