Finally! With each passing day it is starting to feel a little more like Fall is actually trying to arrive. Here in So. Cal we are becoming more used to our extended summers, October heat waves, & dry conditions. But eventually the air starts to invite that refreshing seasonal crispness to join in. Maybe we’ll see a sprinkle here & there, or at least some clouds & drizzle. We hope, anyway!
Today is cool & cloudy & I love it. Our season’s slow emergence is the perfect time for a transitional salad, one that combines late summer & early fall veggies, warm spices, & hearty greens. For this salad, I used up what was left of my CSA box, & treasures from my favorite local market, Stehly Farms, which is a month or so away from opening a new shop just hop & skips from my neighborhood. YAY! It’s one of those lazy days, so I cheated with a bit of Annie’s Goddess Dressing, but if you are feeling ambitious, you can make your own following this recipe. Typically I am a DIY gal, but Annie’s Dressings are a wonderful time saver if need be! And I must mention that I have discovered a new additive worth mentioning...Trader Joe’s “Golden Berry Blend” which is a tasty blend of golden raisins, cherries, cranberries, & blueberries.
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled & diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 large beet, peeled & diced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- dash of chipotle chili powder
- sea salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp ghee, or high heat oil of choice
- a few large handfuls of baby kale
- a few tsp. dried berries (optional)
- Tahini Goddess Dressing, prepared or homemade.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Peel & chop veggies. In a medium mixing bowl, toss veggies with cumin, chipotle chili powder, sea salt & ghee.
- Spread an even layer on a parchment lined baking sheet & roast for 30-40 minutes, or until golden & tender. Tossing once or twice for even cooking.
- In a large salad bowl combine baby kale, roasted veggies, & goddess dressing. Toss well & serve.
I love the combination of the sweet & savory roasted veggies with the crispy kale. The goddess dressing adds a lovely tang, & the chewy berries add a nice little flavor burst, & liven up the textures. Ahhh! Hello fall. Bring on the pumpkin spice lattes, butternut squash risotto, roasted brussels sprouts & more! Oooh, & I think it might actually be a sweater & boot kind of day!