Being sick is no picnic, but I am planning a summertime picnic at my favorite bayside spot when I feel better! I am bored & lonely being stuck in the house on such a beautiful day, so I opened my patio door to let some light & fresh air into the kitchen & tested a picnic-worthy recipe that would also give me some nourishment while I am trying to get healthy!
This bright & fresh salad bursts with flavor from grape tomatoes, kalamata olives, lemon juice & spices. The combination of chickpeas & quiona make a complete protein! This would be wonderful for a light summer dinner topped with grilled Gardein, or packed in my picnic basket along side a bottle of crisp Pinot Gris!
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sliced grape tomatoes
- ½ English cucumber, peeled & chopped
- ½ cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1½ Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced & zested
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. dry oregano
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh basil cut in a chiffonade
- Combine the water & quinoa in a medium sized pot & bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer & let cook for about 15 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water. Fluff with a fork & set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced tomatoes, olives, cucumber & spinach. Add quinoa & spices & mix well. Drizzle olive oil & lemon juice on top and add fresh basil & lemon zest.
- Toss all ingredients together. Serve immediately or store until serving.