It’s been a while since I’ve shared a recipe & I promise that this one was worth the wait! This glorious kale salad is fully loaded with fresh persimmons, pomegranate seeds, edamame, sweet & spicy pecans & tangy tahini dressing.
The original version of this salad was dreamed up a few weeks ago while I was in Alameda, where I ended up walking away from what was to be a “quick stop at the rainy market for some flowers,” with arms full of local organic produce. It was hard to resist! A large basket of fuyu persimmons first caught my eye, then fresh whole pomegranates, next beautiful bunches of kale, & finally an idea was born. I would serve a fruited holiday inspired salad alongside the rich “Native Wellington” I’d brought for our “pre-Thanksgiving feast.” Of course, I didn’t take any photos that night, but I knew I would be making this salad again with produce from my local farmers’ market, so I could enjoy it again & share it with you here.
I had persimmons for the first time last year on a salad at my cousin’s wedding. I quickly recreated that salad & ever since, fuyu persimmons have been one of my coveted winter fruits, so imagine my delight when I saw them at the farmers’ market for the first time. Pomegranate seeds are also a wonderful addition to salads & wonderfully good for you! They’re a “super-fruit” after all! Of course you can easily cheat & buy just the seeds, but it will cost you. Besides, whole pomegranates are easier to deseed than one might think, but a word of caution – they’re juicy & messy, so don’t wear your favorite white t-shirt (like I did) when you rip into them. You’ll end up looking like you’ve just fled the scene of a kitchen crime! As my luck would have it, Vegetarian Times has an easy-to-follow tutorial on pomegranate prep in their Dec ‘12 issue, just in time for my “Holiday Kale Salad 2.0,” so check it out if you need some helpful tips!
Look at all of those gorgeous fall colors! This salad has plenty of texture & flavor to go along with this vibrance. A rich maple infused tahini dressing adds creaminess & depth, while a final sprinkle of sweet & spicy pecans adds a playful kick.
- 1 large bunch kale
- 1-2 ripe fuyu persimmons
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- ½ cup Trader Joe’s “Sweet & Spicy Pecans”
- 2 1/2 Tbsp tahini
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp grape seed oil
- 1 tsp grade Trader Joe’s ”Maple-Agave Syrup Blend”
- Thoroughly wash kale & dry well. Pull leaves from stems & shred leaves by hand into bite sided pieces. Add to large salad bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the tahini, vinegars, oil & maple-agave & wisk until blended.
- Pour dressing over kale & toss with tongs until evenly distributed, or “massage” with your hands if you prefer your kale to be more tender. Allow kale to “marinate” while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Cut persimmons into bite sized pieces ( prefer to leave the skin on) & deseed the pomegranate.
- Fold in persimmon, pomegranate seeds & edamame.Top with pecans.
This salad makes a wonderfully fresh accompaniment to a rich meatless main – whether it’s a decadent vegetable wellington, creamy butternut squash risotto, or hearty lentil loaf – & also makes for a lighter & healthy post holiday lunch.
Can you believe Christmas is in three weeks? OMG!