Risotto is one of my favorite dishes to prepare, & it’s been a while since I’ve slaved over the stove to make it!
When I saw this member submitted recipe in my CSA’s newsletter, I had to try it, with a few modifications, of course. I am always looking for new ways to use beets & I’ve never tried a risotto that I didn’t love! This one was no exception! The sweet golden beets & rainbow chard impart a healthiness to this rich & buttery dish!
“Golden Beet Risotto with Greens”
- 5 cups organic vegetable stock
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 2 -3 medium golden beets, peeled, grated (about 2 cups), beet greens reserved, washed & chopped
- 2 -3 cups rainbow chard, finely chopped
- Salt & pepper
- 1 lemon, grated zest & juice
- 1 Tbsp. vegan margarine (Earth Balance is the best!)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast or vegan Parmesan
- Bring stock to simmer on stove. Heat the oil in a wide pot, add onion, and cook over medium heat 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the rice, stir to coat it well, & cook for 1 minute. Add the wine & simmer until it’s absorbed, then stir in the parsley, the basil, grated beets, & chard.
- Add 2 cups stock, cover, & cook at a fast simmer until stock is absorbed. Begin adding the remaining stock in 1/2 cup increments, stirring constantly until each addition is absorbed before adding the next. When you have 1 cup left, add the beet greens.
- When all liquid is absorbed & the rice al dente, add vegan margarine & nutritional yeast. Taste for salt, season with pepper, then stir in the lemon zest & juice to taste. Top with chopped parsley & a chiffonade of fresh basil.
So, with glass of wine in hand, let the stirring begin! If you love beets & risotto like I do, then this recipe is worth the effort! Enjoy!