The heat has been unbearable today, well, I say “unbearable” by spoiled San Diego standards. It was 100 degrees in my neighborhood & I do not have A/C. Double UGH! Fortunately, I got some relief in a air conditioned building at work, but the Pug had to sweat it out at home.
While contemplating what to make for dinner tonight I had two factors to consider: first – the heat (I didn’t want to turn on the oven) & second – it’s clean out the fridge time (new CSA share tomorrow). When my co-worker Kaila mentioned making an “asian slaw” a light bulb went on! I did a quick inventory from memory of what I had left in the fridge – head of purple cabbage, carrots, & peppers – perfect! While Kaila rattled off her recipe, I took mental notes, went home & made this lovely salad. Certainly not short of color or flavor.
- 4 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, & cut into julienne strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, & cut into julienne strips
- 2 Tbsp. seasame seeds
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon peeled & grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, carrots, peppers, & sesame seeds.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Pour over the vegetables. Toss to coat. Serve chilled. Enjoy!
This cool & crunchy salad couldn’t have been more refreshing on a blazing hot evening!