My friend Shelly, who I’ve mentioned on here before, is going on a 3 week vacation with her family (jealous, right?) & loaded me up with another bag of gorgeous fresh summer veggies from her garden! She didn’t want her ripe beauties to go to waste & knew that I would make good use of them! So when I unloaded the generous bag full of eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, basil & the largest zucchini I’ve ever seen, a “Summer Vegetable Ratatouille” came to mind!
I’ve made different versions of ratatouille in the past, but needed one I could modify to meet the ingredients I had on hand. I found this recipe & went to work on my own custom version!
- 3-4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 baby eggplants, diced (about 2 cups)
- ½ of a very large zucchini, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups tomato puree (made from fresh tomatoes blended in the Vitamix)
- 1 cup whole yellow cherry tomatoes
- 4 Tbsp. fresh basil, minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Generous salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup red wine
- Hot red pepper flakes
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions & garlic, stirring well. Cook until onion is soft & translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Dice the vegetables into 1-inch pieces, keeping them of similar size to ensure even cooking.
- Add eggplant, zucchini & pepper. Stir & cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes puree, cherry tomatoes & herbs. Season with salt & pepper. Stir well & turn down heat to low.
- Cook, covered for about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve over rice, pasta, or on its own with crusty French bread & top with vegan Parmesan.
I love to enjoy ratatouille a number of different ways, but on this particular night I served over multi-grain pasta & added a chiffonade of fresh basil! Good stuff!
Thanks Shelly & Jose! Love you more than basil martinis!!! Enjoy your vacation!