Remember the chickpea salad craze from a few years back? Well, I kinda overdid it, so it’s been awhile since I’d made it. But in a recent effort to revamp my lunches (I am getting bored with my typical macro bowl or kale salad situation) I remembered how much I used to enjoy a mashed chickpea & avocado sammie. So, I decided to play around with my go-to recipe.
For this updated version, I took inspiration from the classic “curried chicken salad” & added red grapes, celery, green onion & curry powder. The result was zesty, crunchy goodness! I love the burst of sweetness from the grapes & the kick of the curry powder – I love curry, so I went a bit more heavy handed for this recipe, feel free to scale it down to taste. I piled the salad high on sprouted grain bread & green leaf lettuce & topped with sunflower sprouts. It makes for an awesome lunch, or even as a snack with superseed crackers.
Mmmmm…I love a good sandwich! For lighter fare, I also enjoy this salad “tartine” style on a single slice of toasted bread. If staying away from bread is your jam, just wrap it in a lettuce leaf. So many options!
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ¾ cup red grapes, halved
- 2 Tbsp. Vegenaise
- 1 tsp, whole grain dijon mustard
- ½-1 tsp. madras curry powder
- ½ avocado
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- Green leaf lettuce leaves
- Sunflower sprouts
- Sprouted whole grain bread
- Add chickpeas, vegan mayo, mustard, curry power, avocado, sea salt & pepper to a food processor.
- Pulse until ingredients are incorporated & chickpeas breakdown slightly. Do not over-process!!
- Place green onion, celery & grapes in a separate bowl, add chickpea mixture & fold until well combined.
- Assemble with lettuce & sunflower sprouts.
Hope you enjoy this as much as I do. Happy 1st day of fall!!!