Hi Friends! I am sure by this point you’ve all had your fill of holiday cookies, cakes, & treats. I know I have & am really looking forward to hitting the gym, rolling out my new yoga mat, & starting of 2015 with a Holistic Ayurvedic Cleanse! But, first, I thought I’d round out this holiday season with one final festive recipe!
Last weekend I had the pleasure of hosting the 2nd annual “Holiday Dessert Bash & Gift Exchange” for some my closest Vegan Ladies Cooking Club friends. Last year I made an insanely decadent “Raw Persimmon Cheesecake,” & with all of the food that we had to nibble on, I had 1/2 a cheesecake left at the end of the night. So, you know what that means…I may have “had” to finish it myself. Yep, I have very little discipline when it comes to sweet treats, & for that I am not proud. So this year I thought I’d try to scale it down & make Chocolate Peppermint Macaroons, White Chocolate Peppermint Fudge, & my Holiday Cashew Cheese Log in the hopes that they’d all quickly disappear. Again, we had a mind blowing spread of the most amazing treats – pies, cakes, cobblers, chocolate fondue, vegan cheese, fruit & a light salad for good measure ~ so much amazing food. Needless to say, there was a lot left over, including my cookies & fudge. But with Christmas a few days away, they were easy to store & keep so I could pass them off to my family. I won’t lie, I nibbled on a few, as they dunked nicely in my morning vegan eggnog latte!
These macaroons turned out so well that I made another batch to gift to my co-workers, & decided that it was a recipe worth sharing here. But to give credit where credit is due, I did modify these ever so slightly from Terry Walters’ “Clean Start,” one of my favorite cookbooks ever! I’ve made the “Chewy Chocolate Macaroons” time & again & absolutely love them. They are simple to prepare, contain only 6 ingredients, & are absolutely delicious. While brainstorming what cookies to make for the party, visions of “Chocolate Peppermint Macaroons” danced into my head & I knew just what needed to do. A simple addition of peppermint extract to this foolproof recipe & a festive holiday cookie was created!
- 2 cups unsweetened organic shredded coconut
- ¼ tsp. pink sea salt
- ¼ cup full fat organic coconut milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. organic peppermint extract
- 1 cup dairy-free & fair trade semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a large mixing bowl, combine shredded coconut with salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together coconut milk, maple syrup, & peppermint extract. Add to coconut & stir until evenly moist.
- Melt chocolate chips in double boiler or in a small pot over very low heat & pour over coconut mixture. Fold until evenly combined.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, scoop batter by the tablespoonful (a mini ice cream scoop is perfect for this) & place on cookie sheet in equal size mounds. Gently press to make each mound of mixture stick together.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until tops appear dry. Remove from heat & place on rack to cool.
These macaroons are such a treat. The peppermint flavor is subtle, but certainly gives the cookie a fun holiday vibe. I considered crushing up candy canes to sprinkle on top for a bit of candy striped fun, but as these cookies are free of refined sugar & processed ingredients, I decided to keep them simple & “clean.”
The holidays are almost over, but I hope you will flag these for next year, as they would make a wonderful addition to your holiday vegan cookie plate, or for a cookie exchange. Oooh & another great tidbit is ~ these freeze well, so you can get a head start on your holiday baking & make large batches of these ahead of time. And don’t forget to set aside a few for yourselves!
With that my lovelies, I am off to the gym to start burning away at some of the holiday calorie accumulation! I hope to be back soon with a new breakfast recipe, a 2014 recap & an announcement of what to expect in the new year.